Our dog, Rio, has seen better days. Adopted from a local shelter when he was four or five, he’s lived with us for five years. He’s got a bad hip and a cranky attitude, but we love him anyway. As he has gotten older, we’ve looked for ways to keep him healthy and happy for the rest of his life. We’ve found 5 tips to keep older dogs healthy that have worked well for us and hopefully, will for you too.
5 Tips To Keep Older Dogs Healthy
1. Find a Veterinarian and schedule regular appointments. This sounds simple, but many people don’t find a veterinarian until their pet is sick. Take the time to find one you like and who listens to your concerns. It took us a few years, but we found an awesome vet who combines eastern and western medicine and believes in keeping pets calm and happy during their visit. It’s made our life much easier!
2. Give your pets as much attention as possible. Take them for walks, pet them when you’re watching television, whatever you can do to give them attention. Giving attention to pets keeps them from getting bored and lets them know they’re love, both good things.
3. Pad Out Their Bedding. Pets can have lots of aches and pains when they get older, so keep them as comfortable as possible by adding extra towels or sheets to their bedding to make it softer. Tip: If they sleep on the bed with you, make sure they can get on the bed easily or set them on the bed yourself.
4. Teach Them Something New. Think an old dog can’t learn new tricks? It’s never too late to try something new! This helps provide mental stimulation, keeping their brain sharper. Remember: It might take longer for an older dog to learn new tricks so be patient.
5. Provide good nutrition. What you feed your dog is important. Purina Pro Plan has developed a breakthrough formula with their Bright Mind Adult 7+, which contains enhanced botanical oils shown to promote alertness and mental sharpness in dogs seven and older with visible results within 30 days. I’ve seen this in action and it really works! I was amazed at the difference. This spring, Purina Pro Plan introduced BRIGHT MIND Adult formulas that feature a proprietary blend of brain-supporting nutrients that support cognitive health in adult dogs. And we all want our dogs to be sharp and alert, am I right?
To celebrate, Purina Pro Plan is partnering with Dognition, an innovative online platform that offers fun, science-based games that reveal the unique way each dog sees the world. (Hint: It’s not the same way we do.) You can get a better understanding of dog cognition and the important role nutrition plays in dog brain health. Want to get a FREE Dognition® Assessment? Starting this month, purchase any specially-marked bag of Purina Pro Plan BRIGHT MIND dry dog food to receive and you will received an exclusive access code inside the package. It’s a $19 value and available while supplies last.
If you’ve ever wanted to see how your dog’s brain works, four people will receive a free Dognition Assessment. Just enter below.