This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Barilla® and Johnsonville®. The opinions and texts are all mine.
Here’s a not so well kept secret about me; I love to eat out. Who doesn’t love have someone else do the prep, serving and clean up? Eating out is not always practical and can get expensive in a hurry. That’s why I’ve learned to recreate some of my favorite “copycat” dishes at home. I tried “Pasta alla Norcina Rosso” in Little Italy during a recent trip to New York City. I’ve recreated the recipe at home, although we call it Pasta with Sausage, Cream and Tomatoes, so I can feed my entire family a nice dinner for under $10.
How to Make Pasta With Sausage, Cream and Tomatoes:
If you’ve read my recipes, you know I prefer easy, quick recipes. This recipe can come together in 30 minutes or less. To round out the meal, I serve it with a salad and bread sticks. Va bene. I started my preparation with Barilla Rotini Pasta and Johnsonville Mild Sausage I picked up at Kroger. It helps speed things along when I’m cooking.
You’ll need these basic ingredients:
Red pepper flakes, salt, garlic, onion, heavy whipping cream, diced or canned tomatoes, parsley, Barilla Pasta (in your choice of shape), Johnsonville Mild Sausage, and Parmesan cheese.
Step by Step Directions:
Step 1. Mix the cream, tomatoes, parsley, sugar and salt together in a medium bowl. Set aside.
Step 2. Prepare pasta as directed on package. Drain.
Step 3. While pasta is cooking, place the crumbled Italian sausage into a skillet with the olive oil. Brown for 5-7 minutes on medium high heat, until the sausage is no longer pink. Add the onions and garlic to the sausage and continue to cook for another 3-5 minutes, stirring often. When sausage is completely done and onions are translucent, remove from heat and drain. Return sausage mixture to pan after draining.
Step 4. Add the tomato mixture to the sausage mixture and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5-10 minutes.
Step 5. Serve sauce over pasta. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and more chopped parsley, if desired.
Tips: Feel free to add your favorite veggies into the mix. Some suggestions include mushrooms or peppers. If you want to sneak in some veggies for the kids, puree your favorite and add them to the sauce.
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb mild Johnsonville Mild Italian sausage links, casings removed and crumbled
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed dried red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes (or use diced)
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons sugar (optional)
- 1 box (16 ounce) Barilla Rotini pasta
- 3 tablespoons fresh minced parsley
- Grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Step 1. Mix the cream, tomatoes, parsley, sugar and salt together in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Step 2. Prepare pasta as directed on package. Drain.
- Step 5. Serve sauce over pasta. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and more chopped parsley, if desired.
This dish is a hit with the entire family, even though they say they would like to do comparisons with the dish from New York City. (Family road trip, anyone?) What is your favorite easy pasta dish?