Can you believe how the year is flying by? Soon, it will be St. Patrick’s Day and a celebration of all things Irish. We decided to get into the spirit (pun intended) by making a cool, creamy milkshake no one has been able to resist. This Irish Coffee Milkshake recipe is our adaptation of a traditional mudslide. I think it’s one of the best shakes I’ve ever had! Sure, it’s indulgent, and we can’t drink it every day (although I wound’t mind!), but it’s a great way to celebrate “the luck of the Irish.”
Irish Coffee Milkshake Recipe
The basic milkshake recipe only has four ingredients, but you’ll want to make sure you use all the added ingredients to give it the truly decadent, over the top taste. You’ll need a chocolate bar or chocolate chips, strong coffee, Baileys Irish Cream (or Kahlua) and ice cream.
You can use any type of chocolate you fancy; dark, milk chocolate or semi sweet. Before you begin to make the shake, chop the chocolate chips or chocolate bar in the food processor or blender.
Add some ice cream, Irish Cream (my personal favorite is still Kahlua) and coffee to the blender. Mix the mixture until blended. If you prefer a mocktail milkshake, just increase the amount of coffee and leave out the alcohol.
Now comes the fun part! Giving the shake the over the top edge! We melted white chocolate and spooned it around the outside rim of the glass and rolled it in green sprinkles. (If you prefer, you can use milk chocolate but you won’t be able to see the sprinkles well.)
Slowly drizzle chocolate syrup down the insides of the glass. Fill the glass with the shake mixture and top with whipped cream. You can add sprinkles or chocolate shavings on top of the whipped cream if you want to give the shake an extra pop. Each recipe makes one shake. Most people will not want to share once they’ve tasted it, so be prepared!
- ⅓ to ½ cup coffee (depending on taste)
- ¼ cup Irish Cream or Kahlua
- ¼ cup chopped chocolate bar OR chocolate chips
- 2 cups ice cream
- Extras to give it a decadent edge:
- whipped topping
- white or dark chocolate chips or candy melts (you'll need 2 ounces)
- chocolate syrup
- If coating the rim of glass: melt chips or chocolate melts in microwave for 15 seconds. Stir. If not completed melted, return to microwave for another 15 seconds. Using a spoon, gently coat the outside rim of glass with the chocolate. Immediately roll in sprinkles.
- For shake:
- Mix ice cream, coffee, Irish cream or Kahlua, and chocolate in the blender for 45 seconds or until blended.
- Drizzle chocolate syrup around inside of glass. Add milkshake. Top with whipped cream and sprinkles, if desired.
And, in case you’ve never heard of Drizly.com, they’re an online liquor store that delivers alcohol, along with extras like party supplies or mixers, directly to your door in one hour. Available in 28 markets around the US and Canada, it’s the perfect solution to your baking or milkshake needs. If they’re not in your neighborhood yet, don’t worry! They’re expanding.