I am determined my patio will be finished this summer so I can sit outside, relax and entertain. As we began working on the patio, I noticed one (of many) problems. We have no outdoor lighting. Sure, we have one ugly porch light, but it doesn’t produce enough light and certainly doesn’t add to the ambiance. I wanted some of the cute solar lighting I have seen on different websites, but then realized lots of solar lighting=lots of money. Being the thrifty person I am, I decided to hit thrift stores and see if I couldn’t find low cost lighting ideas. After making my DIY Bird Feeder with a lampstand, a little light bulb went off over my head. “I could make lighting with a lampstand!” Thus, the DIY Solar Lamp was born.
I started with a lampstand I picked up at a local thrift store, along with a couple of thrifted glass globes from a hanging fixture. Begin by cutting off the cord from the bottom of the lamp, unscrewing the top of the lamp and removing the cord from the inside of the lamp. When that is done, screw the top part back into place.
Once you’ve cut the cords, use a glass adhesive glue and attach the globes to the light sockets. Allow them to dry.
After the globes have dried, it’s time to insert the solar lights. I picked up a couple of cheap $1 lights from the dollar store. Remove the top part of the lights from the plastic stake, as shown below. Glue the solar fixture into the light socket in the middle of the glass globes.
I had an extra space in my light fixture so I added a cute little solar butterfly to the bottom. It matches the butterflies on my other outdoor projects I’ve completed this summer! I think this turned out great. Plus, it would make a wonderful DIY Father’s Day present if you have a hard to buy for dad!
What projects are you making this summer?
For more fun creative summer ideas, check out a few of my favorite blogs.
- Iced Rhubarb Tea from Confessions of an Overworked Mom
- Spinach Smoothies from A Mom’s Take
- Strawberry Pops from Mom on the Side
- Frozen Hot Chocolate from Home and Garden Cafe
- DIY Natural Wood Planter for Father’s Day from Our Family World
- Mason Jar Dirt Pudding by Better in Bulk
- Patriotic Whoopie Pies by How Was Your Day?
- Grilled Asparagus with Parmesan by Day by Day in Our World
- How to Make a Fairy Garden by Momma D Jane
- Make Your Own Summer Scent by Style on Main
- Cheese Stuffed Grilled Ranch Bacon Burger by Mom Does It All
- No Churn Caramel Ice Cream by My So Called Balanced Life
- Grilled Loaded Fries & Fresh Strawberry Lemonade perfect Summer snack idea by Two Boys One Girl and a Crazy Mom
- Picnic Perfect Patriotic Berry Trifle by About a Mom
- Easy Potato Salad by Upstate Ramblings
- DIY Flip Flops by This Mama Loves