One of the first signs of Valentine’s Day at our home is when Bryan purchases a box of Little Debbie Valentines Day Snack Cakes for himself. He loves those cute little cakes. One day when I had some extra cake batter left over from my easy Valentines Day Hugs and Kisses cupcakes I decided to experiment and came up with a copycat version. They’re semi-homemade so they don’t take a long time to make and they taste almost like the real thing. I’ve added instructions in case you want a gluten free version.
I started with a boxed cake mix and added a few ingredients to give it a semi-homemade feel. After I whipped up the batter, I spooned heart shaped silicone cups about 2/3 full with batter. Tip: Don’t add too much batter or it will expand when it bakes and poof outside the cups. These cakes need to only rise to the top of the mold. (Wilton makes these little cups and they can be found at craft stores, like Michael’s, or on Amazon.)
Bake as you would regular cupcakes. Mine were done in approximately 12 to 15 minutes. Allow the cupcakes to cool completely. Remove from the silicone cups. Next, melt white chocolate bark using your preferred method. I usually melt mine in the microwave for approximately 45 seconds, stir, and melt for another 45 seconds. Dip each heart in the white chocolate mixture. Place on a sheet of waxed or parchment paper to dry.
After each heart dried, I spread a small amount of prepared whipped frosting over the the hearts. (I like Duncan Hines Whipped Vanilla Frosting, it’s gluten free.) On top of each cake, I added a small sprinkling of pink colored sugar. Voila! Easy, simple copycat Little Debbie Valentines Day Heart Cakes.
- For cupcakes
- 1 box butter cake mix (or gluten free vanilla cake mix)
- eggs, butter and water as directed on package of cake mix
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- For white chocolate covering:
- 16 ounces white chocolate bark
- For icing
- 1 container (16 ounce) whipped vanilla frosting (or gluten free frosting)
- Decoration: optional: pink sugar
- Prepare cake mix as decorated on package. Add sour cream and extract and blend well. Fill hear shaped silicone container ⅔ full of batter. Bake as directed on package.
- Once cupcakes are done, remove from containers and allow to cool completely.
- Melt white chocolate, using your preferred method. Dip each heart into white chocolate. Place onto wax or parchment paper to dry. Once cakes are dry, spread a small amount of frosting on the top of each cake. Add sprinkles if desired. Makes 24 large heart cakes or 48 minis.
To make this recipe completely gluten free, use a gluten free boxed cake mix and a gluten free frosting. The recipe should make 24 regular sized heart cakes or 48 mini cakes.
Like this recipe? You might also like
How To Make Your Own Giant Candy Kisses.
Worm You Be My Valentine with FREE Printable
Peanut Butter and Pretzel Hearts
Easy Hugs and Kisses Valentine’s Cupcake Recipe