It’s almost time for Cinco de Mayo and we are celebrating with a fiesta! Being a fan of easy recipes, I’m whipping up a batch on super simple enchiladas and wanted to add a dish of my favorite Mexican dip, guacamole. I had recently gotten my hands on a copy of Truly Mexican by Roberto Santibanez and a basket of avocados from The Amazing Avocado. I found so many variations on the typical recipe. We decided to try the Blue Cheese & Smoked Almond version and the results were well worth the ten minute prep time. I noticed the teens were sneaking bites before dinner with a bag of tortilla chips instead of waiting to add the guacamole to their plate. I’m sharing the recipe below.
- 2 Tablespoons finely chopped white onion
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh jalapeno
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 large ripe avocado
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped smoked almonds
- 3 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese
- extra smoked almonds and blue cheese for garnish
- Mash the onion, chile, salt and of the cilantro to a paste. Stir in the lime juice. Peel the avocado, remove the pit and scoop out the flesh. Mash the avocado and add it to the onion mixture. Add the rest of the cilantro, the almonds and the blue cheese, toss well and mix with a fork. Season to taste with additional lime juice and salt. Garnish with almonds and blue cheese.
When people think of avocados, they usually think of the typical uses; ordinary guacamole or as an addition to salads. I’ve found some “out of the box” ways to enjoy my avocados. How about a veggie ALT? That’s Avocado, Lettuce and Tomato. Just prepare the sandwich as usual and instead of bacon, substitute thinly sliced avocado. Or go hog wild (sorry, I couldn’t resist) and add the bacon too. Either way, it’s all good. Need more avo-inspiration? Check out the Amazing Avocado in Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Do you have an out of the box avocado recipe? Do you prepare a special guacamole? Share it with us.
Win a prize pack of a basket of avocados, an OXO avocado peeler, a t-shirt and a copy of Truly Mexican by Roberto Santibanez sponsored by The Amazing Avocado.
Leave a comment telling what avocado recipe you life. A winner will be chosen from the comments via random.org.