I admit it. I am a chocoholic. I’m sure chocolate should be one of the major food groups. If you feel the same as me, then this triple chocolate cupcake recipe is for you. Not one, not two, but three doses of chocolate. Perfection, right? I’m also all about shortcuts. This is a semi-homemade Valentines Day Cupcakes recipe, but I won’t tell if you won’t. You can make this gluten free by substituting a boxed gluten free cake mix for the regular mix. You won’t be able to tell the difference!
To make the cupcakes you’ll need a box of chocolate cake mix, a package of chocolate pudding, and chocolate chips, along with the basic supplies needed to make the mix. (Helpful hint: I sometimes substitute butter or sour cream for the liquid called for in the recipe to make it moist.)
Allow the cupcakes to cool completely before frosting. One of my favorite icing recipes to top these with is homemade sour cream frosting. If you’re in a hurry, skip this step and use a can of prepared icing. If not, my sour cream frosting is made with powdered sugar, vanilla, butter and sour cream. You can use it sparingly because it packs a lot of flavor in a small amount of frosting.
Once the cupcake are iced, add a gummy heart to make this a Valentine’s Day treat.
- 1 box chocolate cake mix (or gluten free cake mix)
- Ingredients listed on box to make the cake
- 1 package (3 ounces) chocolate pudding
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Sour Cream Frosting
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ to 1 teaspoon vanilla (depending on how much flavor you want it to have)
- 2½ cups confectioners sugar
- Stir together the cake mix and pudding. Add the wet ingredients as directed on package. Stir until blended. Add in chocolate chips and mix well. Pour into 24 cupcake liners and bake as directed on the cake mix package.
- Allow to cool completely before frosting.
- To make frosting:
- Combine butter, sour cream and vanilla into mixing bowl. Slowly add confectioners sugar, stirring after each addition. Continue adding confectioners sugar. Mix well.
Want more Valentine’s Day ideas? Try these: