4 Simple Tips to Cut Sugar From Your Diet #sweetswaps

by Pam on March 3, 2014

Glutenfreecaramelapplecheesecake

Gluten Free Caramel Apple Cheesecake made with Splenda Sugar Blend

“How many more people in our family are going to have diabetes?” I asked, after my husband informed me he had been diagnosed with prediabetes.  We were already watching sugar at family events due to the fact that both my in-laws and my father have diabetes, but now we were required to cut back even more.    I thought we had been eating a semi-healthy diet, until I read that women were only supposed to consume six teaspoons of sugar a day.   Sugar is sneaky, hiding in products I wasn’t even aware contained it. No wonder the average American consumes 22 teaspoons a day!   I’ve discovered some little steps, which over time, can make a big impact on health.
1.  Be a spy and read labels.
Sugar can be hiding in places we might not expect, like vanilla lattes, fruit flavored yogurt, salad dressing and cereal. Once the sources of sugar have been identified and outed, we can make choices to cut down on the amount of these products we eat.

2.  Be on the lookout for sneaky sugar aliases.
Just because the label doesn’t say sugar doesn’t mean the product doesn’t contain sugar. It can be hiding in many different forms, like fructose, maltose, sucrose, dextrose, or corn sweetener.  Learn to recognize the other forms of sugar and watch out for the amount contained.  If it’s the first ingredient on the label, prepare for a sugary overload!

3. Cut out sugary beverages from your daily routine.
Sure that soda tastes delicious, but it’s empty calories that won’t satisfy hunger.  As a diet soda addict, I can say it is hard to cut these out of the daily diet plan, and I wouldn’t advise anyone to go cold turkey. Begin by gradually cutting down the amount and replacing with water. It’s healthier and much cheaper on the budget.

4. Begin to replace sugar with Splenda.
During 2014, Splenda is dishing out 365 ways to cut sugar from our diets and replace it with Splenda Sweetener products. Visit 365 Sweet Swaps for tips and recipes to help you save calories from added sugar all year long.

splenda

Want to know more about how to replace sugar in your diet?  Join us tomorrow, Tuesday, March 5th, for a Sweet Swaps Twitter Party, beginning at 12:00 Noon, EST.
Here’s the lowdown:

• Join us to hear recipes, tips and other simple lifestyle changes that can lead to big results over time!
  • When: Tuesday, March 4 at noon ET/11 a.m. CT/9 a.m. PT
  • Twtvite: http://twtvite.com/sweetswaps
  • Hashtag: #SweetSwaps
  • Prizes: Prizes will be randomly awarded to five participants who answer the trivia questions correctly. Each prize includes a $50 Visa Gift Card and an assortment of SPLENDA® Sweetener Products! Prizes limited to U.S. participants only.
  • Hosts: @TheMotherhood, @TheMotherhood25, @CooperMunroe and @EmilyMcKhann

I hope to see you there! What is your favorite tips to cut sugar from your diet?

{ 59 comments… read them below or add one }

Terry March 3, 2014 at 8:48 am

I have cut a lot of sugar from my diet in the last 7 or 8 years. I mostly use natural sugars to sweeten my foods. I have never tried Splenda.

Mistee Dawn March 3, 2014 at 9:00 am

We already cut out sugary drinks a few years ago. Now we need to get rid of the rest of this sugar hiding everywhere

Jenn @therebelchick March 3, 2014 at 9:06 am

These are all such great tips! I only use sugar in my baking now – I don’t even usually add it to my coffee! :)

Emma @ P is for Preschooler March 3, 2014 at 9:29 am

The sugar aliases is what used to trick me. I’m more on top of things now, for myself and my family!

Daisy March 3, 2014 at 9:42 am

I have been cutting back on sugar and it really helps to make me feel better. It’s kind of scary thinking about how easy it is to consume so much sugar!

Ashley Gill March 3, 2014 at 9:59 am

I am not a fan of splenda, but the other tips work for me! Pretty great post! I need to drive away from the sugar in my life.

Tammilee March 3, 2014 at 10:01 am

We have cut back on sugar but I feel like we still need to work on it. It is amazing how much sugar is already in packaged products

Grace Hodgin March 3, 2014 at 10:33 am

Sugar is really no ones friend and those with cancer are warned against it since cancer cells eat sugar. It is so great you were able to find a substitute for sugar so your daily lives are not disrupted and others in your family may avoid becoming diabetics.

Robin (Masshole Mommy) March 3, 2014 at 10:40 am

I use Splenda a lot. I think it tastes very close to real sugar and I love that it has no calories!!

amanda ripsam March 3, 2014 at 11:43 am

I have many health issues and cutting out sugar was the hardest step I had to deal with. I have had a package of sugar last me a month or longer since just simply stopping using it as I don’t drink coffee any more. I also save my teeth too. My teeth started decaying after I had my daughter and I guess my body extra weight was too much. I have gerd hitial herinai and a mallory wiess tear and in order for my tear to heal up before I could consider options to operate I had to stop so much of the stuff I loved like chocolate, pepsi and coffee. My three biggest offenders and high sugar levels. I lost 14 pounds just doing that and adding lot’s of water to my diet. I don’t exercize but my body was able to process foods better as I stopped even eating processed food and stook to a more vegan diet adding only lean proteins.

Barb W. March 3, 2014 at 11:48 am

I generally reduce or eliminate sugar in recipes, most of the time, it’s never missed! Reading labels is certainly key for packaged items, it’s crazy some of the items sugar shows up in!

Shauna March 3, 2014 at 12:11 pm

I have gotten to the point where I only drink unsweet tea and love it… when I do want to add a bit to it, I add a Splenda Packet that I keep in my purse…

Kelsey Apley March 3, 2014 at 12:11 pm

We have cut out a lot of sugar use in our home. My husband is diabetic so I try to not buy so much and use alternative sweeteners!

Susan March 3, 2014 at 12:26 pm

I use spelnda a lot to cut back on my sugar intake, the taste is great, I can’t tell the difference.

Veronica March 3, 2014 at 12:47 pm

I did this 8 months ago when I switched to a raw vegan diet. I eat no sugars except for the natural sugars found in fruits, dates etc.

Sharon March 3, 2014 at 12:53 pm

I’ve been knocking off my sugar intake over the last year or so. I’m down to no sugar in my drinks – only water with lemon. But I love my morning coffee with splenda.

becca March 3, 2014 at 1:08 pm

i love Splenda in my bake goods I need to go back to using it again to help with weightloss.

Erika @Musings SAHM March 3, 2014 at 1:09 pm

Great tips. I try to avoid the extra things, like I don’t add sweeteners to my coffee or tea and only drink water.

Ashley B. March 3, 2014 at 1:51 pm

All very good tips for cutting sugar out of your diet. I’ve cut a lot out of mine and continue to do so.

Tammi @ My Organized Chaos March 3, 2014 at 2:05 pm

It’s amazing where sugar lies, you gotta read those labels!

Ellen Christian March 3, 2014 at 2:08 pm

I’m definitely a label reader. I want to know exactly what’s in what I eat.

Rosey March 3, 2014 at 2:42 pm

I know a pop (soda) lover who cut out sugar drinks and lost so much weight. It was amazing because it was the only change she’d made. :)

Liz @ A Nut in a Nutshell March 3, 2014 at 2:49 pm

Eating fresh fruits and veggies is the easiest way for me to cut it out. I haven’t tried Splenda yet though.

Chavonne H March 3, 2014 at 2:53 pm

I need to stop eating so much sugar but I find it so appalling that companies list sugar under different names so that you think “oh there’s not sugar in this”. All the misleading labels are troubling but with posts like this, it helps a consumer navigate through them. Also I’ll be attending the twitter party! Thanks!

marielle altenor March 3, 2014 at 3:13 pm

I cut off sugar in my coffee. I used to add about 3-4 spoons 0.0 Now I try to get my sugar fix with some fruits. But every once in a while I gave into the urges and have some chocolate!

Emily March 3, 2014 at 3:31 pm

How many grams of sugar are in a teaspoon? We don’t eat very much food that is processed, but I’ve noticed that the labels list sugar in grams. I wonder if I’m consuming too much.

Carlee C March 3, 2014 at 3:51 pm

That Gluten Free Caramel Apple Cheesecake looks really good. I really need to be better about how much sugar I consume because I want better long term health, and I want to set a good example for my kids as well.

Kristen from The Road to Domestication March 3, 2014 at 4:01 pm

I can’t use Splenda. It attacks the immune system, and since mine is compromised already, I don’t want to take any more chances! But I use Truvia as a substitute a lot!

Aisha Kristine Chong March 3, 2014 at 5:00 pm

Thank you for these guides – I have quite a sugar tooth and have a hard time cutting my sugar, ugh

RICHARD HICKS March 3, 2014 at 5:17 pm

We just recently started using Splenda and using the tips you mentioned.

Mama to 5 BLessings March 3, 2014 at 5:33 pm

great tips, sugar is my weakness – this is a great alternative!

Amber Edwards March 3, 2014 at 6:01 pm

I’m working on cutting down on sugar, though not cutting it out completely. But I am to the point where if I”m going to be eating sugar, it had darn better be a conscious choice and something MEANT to be sugar. No more of the hiding sugar stuff. I read labels a lot and opt for the products that don’t have the hidden sugar.

Nancy Lustri (StyleDecor) March 3, 2014 at 6:45 pm

This looks absolutely wonderful! I like that you cut out the sugar! Makes me want to try this recipe right now! :)

Triplezmom March 3, 2014 at 6:57 pm

I need to be better about sugar. I already read labels for so many other things, I just have search for sugars too.

Angela S March 3, 2014 at 7:14 pm

I have gotten much better about reading labels. I use Splenda instead of sugar A LOT.

Sofia March 3, 2014 at 7:19 pm

All great tips, thanks! I have to start reading my labels :)

CrazyMom a/k/a Melanie March 3, 2014 at 7:36 pm

Great tips.. I’m currently trying to cut down sugar and these sure will come in handy, Love Splenda and that has been my favorite “sweet” lately …

Sarah Bailey March 3, 2014 at 7:59 pm

I know a lot of people who use splenda and swear by it being just as good especially when it comes to sugar in a hot drink :) x

Jennifer Soltys March 3, 2014 at 8:06 pm

That looks super delicious!!! Love that there’s less guilt from the sugar swap!

April March 3, 2014 at 8:15 pm

Cutting sugar is really difficult for so many people. These are great tips! I quit drinking soda several years ago and have made an effort to only eat natural sweeteners now. Dates are a great substitute as well to desserts.

Whispered Inspirations March 3, 2014 at 9:35 pm

Hmm, I do a lot of what you do and definitely use sugar alternatives to swap out the sugar.

Tough Cookie Mommy March 3, 2014 at 10:09 pm

I developed gestational diabetes when I was pregnant and it just came back last year. All of your advice is so important.

Melissa March 3, 2014 at 11:37 pm

We replaced our sugar with Splenda a few months ago.

Heather @ It's a Lovely Life! March 4, 2014 at 12:56 am

My mom LOVES Splenda. It’s the only sweetener she will use now!

Pam March 4, 2014 at 12:57 am

Sugar is pretty much the only vice I have. I would love to get rid of this addiction but haven’t been able to do so yet. I love my sweets.

kay adeola March 4, 2014 at 4:21 am

We cut a lot of sugar from our diets a while back,Although i do sneak in a bit to much for myself still lol.Splenda is really good.

Kenda Smith March 4, 2014 at 6:33 am

Our family really likes Splenda. It tastes like the real thing and it’s so easy to bake with.

Onica {MommyFactor} March 4, 2014 at 6:33 am

I try to be on track with how much sugar we take in but I didn’t think about sugar alias. Thanks for that tip!

melissa March 4, 2014 at 7:57 am

What great tips! You never realize how much hidden sugar is in foods. This really brings light to it!

Wendy | Around My Family Table March 4, 2014 at 9:50 am

I’ve actually thinking of giving up sugar for Lent tomorrow….it’s in everything so it will be super hard.

Tess March 4, 2014 at 10:29 am

I watch what I eat and am a lot better than I used to be. I never realized how easy it is to get diabetes.

Melanie March 4, 2014 at 1:36 pm

Oh apple cheesecake? Wow, this sounds so good, looks great too. Yumm

Theresa March 4, 2014 at 2:14 pm

I am slowly cutting out the sugar too. Taking small steps is working for me, like switching to unsweetened tea, baking with applesauce, ect. I won’t cut it out completely all at once, but slow and steady wins the race.

Megan @ C'mon Get Crafty March 4, 2014 at 2:28 pm

I’ve done a pretty good job overall – cutting out soda is huge!! Now I only splurge on a fountain soda as a special treat. :)

Eliz Frank March 4, 2014 at 2:33 pm

You are right, there is a ton of hidden sugar in our foods and sometimes it takes a bit of sleuthing to find it. I’m trying real hard to cut all sugar out because it is addictive.

Angie | Big Bear's Wife March 4, 2014 at 4:50 pm

I read labels like a hawk haha, I stay away unless (or try to stay away) unless I know what everything is on the label and can pronounce it all!

American Punjaban PI March 4, 2014 at 6:04 pm

This is such a fitting post for my life right now. I’m working on cutting back on my sugar intake. Luckily I like water and I’ve found one of the best ways for me to cut back is to drink water in place of other beverages and also to add a bit more to my daily routine. This keeps me from craving things that may have sugar in them. By reducing cravings I don’t grab things that may have more sugar in them and instead I can take my time and pick out something more healthy and refreshing.

Amanda Her March 5, 2014 at 12:30 am

I’ve been trying to cut down on my sugar intake too and Splenda is a great alternative. I should be better about reading labels.

Ashley Wintters March 5, 2014 at 9:21 pm

I’ve been trying to cut out sugar from my diet and use mainly natural sugar…it is difficult though!!