“How many more people in our family are going to have diabetes?” I asked, after my husband informed me he had been diagnosed with prediabetes. We were already watching sugar at family events due to the fact that both my in-laws and my father have diabetes, but now we were required to cut back even more. I thought we had been eating a semi-healthy diet, until I read that women were only supposed to consume six teaspoons of sugar a day. Sugar is sneaky, hiding in products I wasn’t even aware contained it. No wonder the average American consumes 22 teaspoons a day! I’ve discovered some little steps, which over time, can make a big impact on health.
1. Be a spy and read labels.
Sugar can be hiding in places we might not expect, like vanilla lattes, fruit flavored yogurt, salad dressing and cereal. Once the sources of sugar have been identified and outed, we can make choices to cut down on the amount of these products we eat.
2. Be on the lookout for sneaky sugar aliases.
Just because the label doesn’t say sugar doesn’t mean the product doesn’t contain sugar. It can be hiding in many different forms, like fructose, maltose, sucrose, dextrose, or corn sweetener. Learn to recognize the other forms of sugar and watch out for the amount contained. If it’s the first ingredient on the label, prepare for a sugary overload!
3. Cut out sugary beverages from your daily routine.
Sure that soda tastes delicious, but it’s empty calories that won’t satisfy hunger. As a diet soda addict, I can say it is hard to cut these out of the daily diet plan, and I wouldn’t advise anyone to go cold turkey. Begin by gradually cutting down the amount and replacing with water. It’s healthier and much cheaper on the budget.
4. Begin to replace sugar with Splenda.
During 2014, Splenda is dishing out 365 ways to cut sugar from our diets and replace it with Splenda Sweetener products. Visit 365 Sweet Swaps for tips and recipes to help you save calories from added sugar all year long.
Want to know more about how to replace sugar in your diet? Join us tomorrow, Tuesday, March 5th, for a Sweet Swaps Twitter Party, beginning at 12:00 Noon, EST.
Here’s the lowdown:
- Join us to hear recipes, tips and other simple lifestyle changes that can lead to big results over time!
- When: Tuesday, March 4 at noon ET/11 a.m. CT/9 a.m. PT
- Twtvite: http://twtvite.com/sweetswaps
- Hashtag: #SweetSwaps
- Prizes: Prizes will be randomly awarded to five participants who answer the trivia questions correctly. Each prize includes a $50 Visa Gift Card and an assortment of SPLENDA® Sweetener Products! Prizes limited to U.S. participants only.
- Hosts: @TheMotherhood, @TheMotherhood25, @CooperMunroe and @EmilyMcKhann
I hope to see you there! What is your favorite tips to cut sugar from your diet?