4 Simple Tips to Cut Sugar From Your Diet #sweetswaps

Glutenfreecaramelapplecheesecake

Gluten Free Caramel Apple Cheesecake made with Splenda Sugar Blend

“How many more people in our family are going to have diabetes?” I asked, after my husband informed me he had been diagnosed with prediabetes.  We were already watching sugar at family events due to the fact that both my in-laws and my father have diabetes, but now we were required to cut back even more.    I thought we had been eating a semi-healthy diet, until I read that women were only supposed to consume six teaspoons of sugar a day.   Sugar is sneaky, hiding in products I wasn’t even aware contained it. No wonder the average American consumes 22 teaspoons a day!   I’ve discovered some little steps, which over time, can make a big impact on health.
1.  Be a spy and read labels.
Sugar can be hiding in places we might not expect, like vanilla lattes, fruit flavored yogurt, salad dressing and cereal. Once the sources of sugar have been identified and outed, we can make choices to cut down on the amount of these products we eat.

2.  Be on the lookout for sneaky sugar aliases.
Just because the label doesn’t say sugar doesn’t mean the product doesn’t contain sugar. It can be hiding in many different forms, like fructose, maltose, sucrose, dextrose, or corn sweetener.  Learn to recognize the other forms of sugar and watch out for the amount contained.  If it’s the first ingredient on the label, prepare for a sugary overload!

3. Cut out sugary beverages from your daily routine.
Sure that soda tastes delicious, but it’s empty calories that won’t satisfy hunger.  As a diet soda addict, I can say it is hard to cut these out of the daily diet plan, and I wouldn’t advise anyone to go cold turkey. Begin by gradually cutting down the amount and replacing with water. It’s healthier and much cheaper on the budget.

4. Begin to replace sugar with Splenda.
During 2014, Splenda is dishing out 365 ways to cut sugar from our diets and replace it with Splenda Sweetener products. Visit 365 Sweet Swaps for tips and recipes to help you save calories from added sugar all year long.

splenda

Want to know more about how to replace sugar in your diet?  Join us tomorrow, Tuesday, March 5th, for a Sweet Swaps Twitter Party, beginning at 12:00 Noon, EST.
Here’s the lowdown:

• Join us to hear recipes, tips and other simple lifestyle changes that can lead to big results over time!
  • When: Tuesday, March 4 at noon ET/11 a.m. CT/9 a.m. PT
  • Twtvite: http://twtvite.com/sweetswaps
  • Hashtag: #SweetSwaps
  • Prizes: Prizes will be randomly awarded to five participants who answer the trivia questions correctly. Each prize includes a $50 Visa Gift Card and an assortment of SPLENDA® Sweetener Products! Prizes limited to U.S. participants only.
  • Hosts: @TheMotherhood, @TheMotherhood25, @CooperMunroe and @EmilyMcKhann

I hope to see you there! What is your favorite tips to cut sugar from your diet?

Comments

1. says

I have cut a lot of sugar from my diet in the last 7 or 8 years. I mostly use natural sugars to sweeten my foods. I have never tried Splenda.

2. Daisy says

I have been cutting back on sugar and it really helps to make me feel better. It’s kind of scary thinking about how easy it is to consume so much sugar!

3. says

Sugar is really no ones friend and those with cancer are warned against it since cancer cells eat sugar. It is so great you were able to find a substitute for sugar so your daily lives are not disrupted and others in your family may avoid becoming diabetics.

4. says

I have many health issues and cutting out sugar was the hardest step I had to deal with. I have had a package of sugar last me a month or longer since just simply stopping using it as I don’t drink coffee any more. I also save my teeth too. My teeth started decaying after I had my daughter and I guess my body extra weight was too much. I have gerd hitial herinai and a mallory wiess tear and in order for my tear to heal up before I could consider options to operate I had to stop so much of the stuff I loved like chocolate, pepsi and coffee. My three biggest offenders and high sugar levels. I lost 14 pounds just doing that and adding lot’s of water to my diet. I don’t exercize but my body was able to process foods better as I stopped even eating processed food and stook to a more vegan diet adding only lean proteins.

5. says

I generally reduce or eliminate sugar in recipes, most of the time, it’s never missed! Reading labels is certainly key for packaged items, it’s crazy some of the items sugar shows up in!

6. Shauna says

I have gotten to the point where I only drink unsweet tea and love it… when I do want to add a bit to it, I add a Splenda Packet that I keep in my purse…

7. says

I’ve been knocking off my sugar intake over the last year or so. I’m down to no sugar in my drinks – only water with lemon. But I love my morning coffee with splenda.

8. says

I know a pop (soda) lover who cut out sugar drinks and lost so much weight. It was amazing because it was the only change she’d made. :)

9. says

I need to stop eating so much sugar but I find it so appalling that companies list sugar under different names so that you think “oh there’s not sugar in this”. All the misleading labels are troubling but with posts like this, it helps a consumer navigate through them. Also I’ll be attending the twitter party! Thanks!

10. says

I cut off sugar in my coffee. I used to add about 3-4 spoons 0.0 Now I try to get my sugar fix with some fruits. But every once in a while I gave into the urges and have some chocolate!

11. says

How many grams of sugar are in a teaspoon? We don’t eat very much food that is processed, but I’ve noticed that the labels list sugar in grams. I wonder if I’m consuming too much.

12. says

That Gluten Free Caramel Apple Cheesecake looks really good. I really need to be better about how much sugar I consume because I want better long term health, and I want to set a good example for my kids as well.

13. says

I’m working on cutting down on sugar, though not cutting it out completely. But I am to the point where if I”m going to be eating sugar, it had darn better be a conscious choice and something MEANT to be sugar. No more of the hiding sugar stuff. I read labels a lot and opt for the products that don’t have the hidden sugar.

14. says

Cutting sugar is really difficult for so many people. These are great tips! I quit drinking soda several years ago and have made an effort to only eat natural sweeteners now. Dates are a great substitute as well to desserts.

15. says

Sugar is pretty much the only vice I have. I would love to get rid of this addiction but haven’t been able to do so yet. I love my sweets.

16. melissa says

What great tips! You never realize how much hidden sugar is in foods. This really brings light to it!

17. says

I am slowly cutting out the sugar too. Taking small steps is working for me, like switching to unsweetened tea, baking with applesauce, ect. I won’t cut it out completely all at once, but slow and steady wins the race.

18. Eliz Frank says

You are right, there is a ton of hidden sugar in our foods and sometimes it takes a bit of sleuthing to find it. I’m trying real hard to cut all sugar out because it is addictive.

19. says

This is such a fitting post for my life right now. I’m working on cutting back on my sugar intake. Luckily I like water and I’ve found one of the best ways for me to cut back is to drink water in place of other beverages and also to add a bit more to my daily routine. This keeps me from craving things that may have sugar in them. By reducing cravings I don’t grab things that may have more sugar in them and instead I can take my time and pick out something more healthy and refreshing.