Pearly Whites: The #Listerine 21 Day Challenge

by Pam on February 13, 2014

“I received a Target gift card to purchase LISTERINE® Brand products from Johnson & Johnson Healthcare Products Division of McNEIL-PPC, Inc. and The Motherhood as part of my participation in the LISTERINE® 21-Day Challenge. All thoughts and opinions expressed in this post are my own.”

oral health challenge

Ready to start the 21 day Listerine Oral Health Challenge!

I have a confession to make. I am a soda fanatic. The kids even warn their friends, “You can eat anything in the house, but if you touch Mom’s soda you might lose a finger.” That means my teeth usually have a constant coating of sticky goo even though I brush my teeth several times a day and floss when I remember. What could go wrong with this? The last time I went to the dentist, he told me, “Pam, you have four small cavities.” Oh. That’s what could go wrong. When I was invited to participate in the 21 day Oral Health Challenge from Listerine, I was eager to sign up because having someone drill in my mouth is one of my least favorite activities.  I headed out to Target to pick up the items needed  to begin  my challenge:

• LISTERINE® Antiseptic
  • LISTERINE® SMART RINSE®
  • LISTERINE® WHITENING® Original Gel Fluoride Anticavity Toothpaste
  • REACH® Floss
Listerine Smart Rinse

How many boys can resist rinsing with the Avengers?

Did you know brushing misses 75% of your mouth? I didn’t either.  During the 21 Day Challenge, which should be long enough to encourage me to get into better oral health habits, I’ll be spending an extra minute (or two!) a day swishing with Listerine Antiseptic.  I’m also forcing  involving the rest of the family in the challenge too.   I know I can’t be the only parent who faces a battle of reminding the kids, “Did you remember to brush your teeth?”  I hear responses like, “I forgot,” or “I will do it in just a minute.”

Listerine Antiseptic

Swishing for one minute a day to keep cavities at bay!

Want to know how you can get involved to improve your oral health and help others in need? For every person who posts a “Swish Selfie” to LISTERINE® Brand’s Facebook page, LISTERINE® Brand will make a $5.00 contribution to Oral Health America’s Smiles Across America® program, up to $85,000, toward their goal of connecting 210,000 children with needed oral health services in 2014.   It’s a total win-win! Better health for you and children in need.  I’ll be posting my Swish Selfie so be sure to check out the best photos of the week to see if I make it.

Reach Floss

I’ll be adding flossing to my daily routine.

Will you take the 21 day Oral Health Challenge?

{ 63 comments… read them below or add one }

Robin (Masshole Mommy) February 13, 2014 at 8:57 am

We’re regular Listerine users in our house. I love the way it makes my whole mouth feel clean after I use it.

Tess February 13, 2014 at 9:13 am

We love Listerine and have it in our house always. It makes my mouth all clean feeling. lol

Emily February 13, 2014 at 9:23 am

This is a wonderful idea to get the non-flossers and non-mouthrinse users on board to healthier teeth and gums! Oral health is important to overall health – glad to see you’re helping to raise awareness!

Marina February 13, 2014 at 9:36 am

We’re a Listerine family andd our dental routine is incomplete without a good gargle!

Scott February 13, 2014 at 9:52 am

My wife is taking the challenge too – best of luck to you both!

Candace February 13, 2014 at 10:02 am

We use Listerine as well but especially for my daughter who has braces. For her it’s extra important to take special care with teeth.

Stefani February 13, 2014 at 10:33 am

I like the Listerine products too! I try to stay away from soda just because I don’t like how it feels on my teeth, especially Coke.

Michele February 13, 2014 at 10:43 am

Unfortunately my genetics did a job on my teeth which I no longer have even though I had really good dentists all my life! Anything you can do to preserve your teeth do–Dental care is out of the financial reach of so many in this country, I’m glad to hear Listerine may be helping some of them out.

Nicole B February 13, 2014 at 10:54 am

I like to rinse and am proud of myself for finally getting into the habit of daily flossing. I had a couple cavities a year ago and never want to go through that again!

Jen V February 13, 2014 at 11:48 am

I had no idea that teeth brushing misses 75% of your mouth. I had a root canal a couple of years ago and now I am fanatical about oral hygiene. My husband is a huge soda drinker so I will have to pass along the tips to him too.

Dominique February 13, 2014 at 12:03 pm

My boyfriend LOVES Listerine! I drink as much soda as you, so I should probably use it more. I’m intrigued to see if it helps you! =)

brett February 13, 2014 at 1:10 pm

wait! they have avengers rinse now? sweet. my son hates our rinses because they aren’t “cool” or are girlie (2 sisters). guess i’ll grab some at target next weeke

DawnC February 13, 2014 at 1:25 pm

I love Listerine. We use it daily in my household.

Brandi Best February 13, 2014 at 1:42 pm

My kids use the Smart Rinse from Listerine. I love it! II love that it doesn’t cost an arm and a leg to keep it stocked in the house.

kristin February 13, 2014 at 1:55 pm

It’s s important to keep brushing. Starting taht healthy habit is a great way to kepe your smile bright!

Great tips!

Shauna February 13, 2014 at 1:55 pm

I just recently started my kids on a Listerine regiment as two of the three had cavities. Since we started, we have had no new cavities… wooo hoo

Ellen Christian February 13, 2014 at 2:08 pm

I’m going to have the kids take the challenge with me!

Kelly Hutchinson February 13, 2014 at 2:17 pm

Great dental health is so important and Listerine is a great product to include.

Lisa Jones February 13, 2014 at 2:25 pm

My Family Has Been Using All Of These Products For Years I Was Told By Dentists A long Time Ago That Listerine Is The Only Thing They Will Use & Recommend It Definitely Works!!

Lawna February 13, 2014 at 2:44 pm

I will definitely have to check these out next time I am at the store. I have to admit, I am a soda addict too!

Debbie Denny February 13, 2014 at 3:20 pm

Good dental habits are so important. Take good care of them while you got them

martha February 13, 2014 at 3:36 pm

I think we are going to join you in this challenge. it’s time. we don’t need dirty mouths!

Gabby Homemaker February 13, 2014 at 4:18 pm

We go through so much mouth cleaning supplies in this house Listerine is definitely our choice for mouth wash. I love that they make a version for kids, too. There’s no way he’d use our Listerine, but he loves ones made especially for children.

Amy Desrosiers February 13, 2014 at 4:47 pm

We used to love Listerine because it really did kill all the bad breath germs in our mouths! I also love Target because I find all the best deals there!

Nikki February 13, 2014 at 4:50 pm

I’m taking the 21-Day Challenge too. Our problem is remembering to swish and also getting my son to floss better. I picked up the Avengers SmartRinse too, my son will definitely be more into using it if it has a favorite character on it.

Jennifer B February 13, 2014 at 5:18 pm

Listerine is a trusted brand in my house as well! I can really feel the super clean in my mouth when using it!

Wendy | Around My Family Table February 13, 2014 at 5:49 pm

I didn’t realize they made kid-friendly mouthwash too!

Coolchillmom February 13, 2014 at 5:50 pm

Yes! I am taking the challenge
So important to take care of our oral health!

Beeb Ashcroft February 13, 2014 at 6:31 pm

I’ve been using Listerine for close to a month and it does make my mouth feel a lot cleaner. I just had to get over the initial tingly/burning when I first used it, and then I really liked it!

Beth February 13, 2014 at 6:52 pm

Isn’t Listerine kind of hard on your teeth because of the high alcohol content? I was actually reading that many dentists no longer recommend it because it can damage your enamel. Do you know if this is true? (Not trying to be a problem commenter – I’ve just seen a lot of people using Listerine lately and am wondering about the debate! Guess it’s time to do more research :) )

We are big into oral health at my house, as well.

Pam February 13, 2014 at 7:16 pm

I’m not sure, Beth. I guess I will have to research as well and let everyone know in my follow up post. :)

sharon February 13, 2014 at 7:01 pm

We use Listerine but I haven’t tried any of the children’s versions. My kids would enjoy these too!

Nancy Lustri (StyleDecor) February 13, 2014 at 7:25 pm

I don’t use mouthwash too often, but love the Reach Dental Floss! Use it twice a day!

Sarah Bailey February 13, 2014 at 7:45 pm

I’m awful at sticking to a mouthwash – I really need to try listerine though as your not the first person to recommend it over the last couple of days. x

Cynthia L February 13, 2014 at 8:21 pm

I have had Listerine in my medicine cabinet for many, many years! I remember it when there was only one flavor and it was not so good. I knew the product was great though so we kept using it!

Tammilee February 13, 2014 at 8:31 pm

I need to join the 21 day challenge. I have been bad about flossing the past few weeks.

Mama to 5 BLessings February 13, 2014 at 8:44 pm

Love Listerine, I like how clean and fresh my mouth feels after using it!

Sandra February 13, 2014 at 8:48 pm

we like Listerine products and use the mouth wash, I am terrible about flossing. I promise to do better now after reading this.

Pauline C. February 13, 2014 at 8:59 pm

I don’t really use Mouthwash that often, I dislike it for some reason. I only floss. But useful tips though!!! =)

Ronni Keller February 13, 2014 at 9:06 pm

That is THE only brand the small fry can stand to use!

Wendy @ ABCs and Garden Peas February 13, 2014 at 9:39 pm

My son would do it! A little girl at preschool told him his breath was bad and now he’s obsessed with mouthwash! :)

Jennifer Soltys February 13, 2014 at 10:35 pm

The routine doesn’t feel complete without the Listerine! Love it!!

Mommy2jam February 13, 2014 at 10:40 pm

My boys are addictive to the smart rinse! WE love all their products they are the best. I have to agree with Jennifer and her comment, ” It doesn’t feel complete without the listerine!” so true on so many levels.

Aly Mashrah February 13, 2014 at 11:22 pm

I use Listerine on a regular basis, so I would gladly take on this challenge!

Heather @ It's a Lovely Life! February 13, 2014 at 11:31 pm

Listerine and flossing are a daily part of our lives! I don’t ever want another cavity!

Rosey February 13, 2014 at 11:32 pm

That’s a nice contribution for a selfie. Kudos to them for doing it!

Liza @ Views From the 'Ville February 14, 2014 at 12:10 am

Oral health is so important! I had no idea that Listerine had a version for kids – and that they have Marvel characters on it! My daughter would dig that (and so would I!).

Elizabeth @ Food Ramblings February 14, 2014 at 12:21 am

what a great challenge!!! and will make your mouth so much healthy too!

Danielle February 14, 2014 at 2:09 am

We use Listerine too. Though we never have soda in the house, my husband used to be addicted to cola!

Pam February 14, 2014 at 2:47 am

We are a family of Listerine users. It is great they are holding this contest and contributing to a great cause. Dental health and preventive care is so important.

Maria February 14, 2014 at 9:00 am

I am addicted to my dental floss. This is definitely one of my favorites and bring it to work. I have had a lot of dental work done so I definitely don’t want to ruin the hard work I have went through to give me a pretty smile.

Melanie S. February 14, 2014 at 9:06 am

I don’t drink soda and I generally try to avoid sugar (*try*), but I still floss and use Listerine. Have to take care of my babies!

Danielle @ We Have It All February 14, 2014 at 9:21 am

Oh we did this 21 Day Challenge last year! I totally forgot about it… we’ll have to do it again!

Kristin Wheeler (@MamaLuvsBooks) February 14, 2014 at 9:35 am

We already use this and love it!

Amanda February 14, 2014 at 9:57 am

We use Listerine here too!! And the kids use the Smart rinse to help with their brushing!

Veronica February 14, 2014 at 10:22 am

Listerine still does a great job of keeping your teeth nice and clean and fresh breath

Taralyn February 14, 2014 at 12:44 pm

My husband is a Listerine fan! We have some in our bathroom cabinet.

Eliz Frank February 14, 2014 at 3:33 pm

I use salt and water but will try Listerine too.Happy Valentine’s Day!

Joanna Sormunen February 14, 2014 at 3:49 pm

I’m a soda fan, too. Especially Zero Coke and it does worry me. After all, it’s not really a good thing for my teeth. Thank you for the advice.

Le-an Lacaba February 14, 2014 at 6:39 pm

It’s great that you’ve taken the challenge of making your teeth better everyday!

Amanda February 14, 2014 at 10:14 pm

Yep, as much as I have tried, I am still a Coke fan. I don’t enjoy the sensation of swishing but do love how it feels afterwards.

marielle altenor February 14, 2014 at 11:34 pm

I should really make it an habit to use mouth wash every day.

Robin Wilson February 16, 2014 at 11:46 am

We have been using Listerine for years. Not to mention reach products as well. The Challenge is a great idea