How to Make a Cold & Flu Care Kit

by Pam on December 8, 2013

Mucinex

Giving a child a comfy blanket, a fun movie and their own mug can help kids pass the time when they are sick. (I received product from Smiley 360 to facilitate this post. All opinions are my own.)

Colds, flu, strep throat; those are some of the illnesses that usually plague us around the holidays.  I have often said it wouldn’t be Christmas without at least one kid (or me) having a sinus infection.  There’s nothing that kills the holiday spirit faster for me than being ill.  Over the years I have discovered having my own Cold and Flu relief pack is better than spending hours trying to find all the items I need at the stores during the hectic holiday season.  I keep these items on hand for the duration of cold and flu season.  Want to make your own cold and flu relief pack to keep the kids happy and hopefully relieve some of the aches and pains?

1. Food Items. It is no secret the reason chicken noodle soup has been recommended for a cold for years.  The hot liquid helps thin mucus, allowing easier breathing. My kids aren’t big chicken noodle soup fans, so I keep a few cans of soup they like, along with packets of hot tea and hot cocoa.  For the sore throat that often accompanies the cold, I have cough drops, peppermint mints or candy canes and popsicles. My kids can quickly become dehydrated so I have a sports drink on hand

2. Special Items. It is easy to be bored when in bed. I keep a special movie, blanket, book and other items for use only when we are sick.  I have a magazine on hand for myself to read when I have a migraine that leaves me lying flat on my back, not moving, if I ever feel like I can read it.

3. An Ear Thermometer.  What did we do before they made these? It makes reading their temperatures so much easier.

4. Various medications like pain & fever reducer, cough syrup and Mucinex because whenever I take the kids to the doctor he usually says, “It’s a virus that has to run its course, use these medicines,” or “It’s a sinus infection. Use this prescription with these medicines. (I suggest asking your doctor which medicines will work for your family and keep those on hand so you don’t have to make a midnight dash to the store.)

5. Individual packages of Kleenex, hand sanitizer and a bottle of disinfectant spray to help minimize the spread of germs.  I’m all for my kids sharing, unless it is an illness.
Mucinex2

If you want to prepare a cold and flu kit for your family, I have found a $2 dollar coupon for Children’s Mucinex. You can learn more about them on Facebook.
What items do you include when you are trying to fight the flu?

Pam is a former teacher turned work from home mom. When she's not caring for her kids or cats, she can be found whipping up tasty recipes, trying her hand at the newest techie gadgets or reading. She loves to travel whenever she has a chance and spends way too much time on the computer sharing her experiences.

{ 17 comments… read them below or add one }

Cyndie December 8, 2013 at 9:40 am

My must have item to fight the cold or flu is a humidfier! I hope I do not need any of these things this year, though.

Michele December 8, 2013 at 9:49 am

The very fact that the weather has not quite stabilized yet–it goes from warm to freezing in a couple of hours then back again helps getting people sick!! Even us single ones! I am sitting here right now–I have been fighting off a cold for a week or two now–this morning I woke up with an ear ache and a sore throat. I do have some Mucinex in the house (for Adults of course) and will take some later. I always have a book or two to read (LOL) and have been sleeping off and on–I think I may have a can of Chicken soup in the pantry–there is nothing like Chicken soup to make you feel better.

Rosey December 8, 2013 at 10:38 am

$2 off Mucinex is a good deal. That stuff works amazingly well (for the kids and me & hubby).

Melanie a/k/a CrazyMom December 8, 2013 at 11:29 am

We love the mucinex for Children’s works wonders with my Princess who has Asthma a lot… and the care package sure sounds like a great Get Well idea..love it..thanks for sharing

Barb W. December 8, 2013 at 11:49 am

Certainly need to hand these kits out around here… ’tis the season! lol Great ideas. We’ve used Mucinex many times, always offers much needed relief while battling colds.

Robin (Masshole Mommy) December 8, 2013 at 1:47 pm

I usually give my kids Dimetap or Tylenol Cold, but I would certainly try this for them the next time they are sick. Anything to make them feel better, right?

Tough Cookie Mommy December 8, 2013 at 3:14 pm

These are some great tips for making a flu kit. It’s so important to have the items around that are going to make you feel better right away when you can’t avoid getting sick.

Terry December 8, 2013 at 4:17 pm

A cold and flu care kid would be perfect for me to give to my Granddaughter who is in college. When she gets a cold, she always used to call me to bring her something to make her feel better.

Fan R @TeddyOutReady December 8, 2013 at 8:25 pm

You just reminded me about Ear Thermometer, I need to get one asap as our under arm Thermometer does not work properly with my little one, he can’t sit for a single moment.

Carlee Colonneso December 8, 2013 at 8:53 pm

These are handy tips for cold and flu season. Thanks for sharing the coupon, I love saving when I am able.

Le-an Lai Angeles Lacaba December 9, 2013 at 3:31 am

My mom always stocks up with these items whenever the season comes around, especially since I am a certified sickly one during the holidays!

Amanda Love ~ Growing Up Madison December 9, 2013 at 10:08 am

I don’t usually use Mucinex but I do have other products that I do keep on hand for my kids. btw my daughter is in love with that movie. It’s the one that’s in my minivan that is played over and over again. :)

Melanie December 9, 2013 at 1:08 pm

Haven’t tried this yet for the colds, this reminded me to pick some up this season!

Ronnie December 9, 2013 at 3:16 pm

What a smart idea!!!!!!!! I always end up having to get my medication after I get sick, and it’s such a hassle to do when all I want is to stay in bed with a hot water bag.

Ashley Gill December 9, 2013 at 3:38 pm

I always turn to Mucinex when someone in the family is full of it! I like your little kit idea though! We always have tons of OJ, Kleenexes and a few good movies when the colds set in.

Pam December 9, 2013 at 4:05 pm

Mucinex works really well for my son. Thanks for the coupon. It will come in handy. Lots of people are impacted already by the cold and flu season.

Dawn L December 9, 2013 at 10:23 pm

I just love this idea, this would make a thoughtful gift for almost anyone! ;)