Five Tips To Prevent Colds and Flu at School #MC

by Pam on December 11, 2013

Lancaster, PA

It’s cold and flu season!

I participated in a campaign on behalf of Mom Central Consulting for CVS MinuteClinic. I received promotional items as a thank you for participating.

The first year I taught elementary school I caught everything that passed through the school system; colds that turned into sinus infections, the flu with a 103 degree fever, strep throat (twice) and an assorted collection of stomach viruses. It didn’t help that I taught lower elementary where the kids wanted to sneeze on their hands or wipe their noses with their fingers and then grab my hand, touch my face or hug me.  Over the years I became more resistant to germs and also learned a few ways to prevent getting sick.  Here’s five ways to help your child avoid picking up those germs that are running rampant through the classroom.

1. Send their own water bottle.  Did you know that water fountains are one of the germiest places in the school? The kids don’t realize putting their mouth on the water fountain is a sure way to pass on viruses.

2. Don’t share! I know we teach our children to share from an early age, but be sure to tell them not to share their water bottles or anything that comes in contact with their mouths like lip balms.

3. Teach kids the right way to “blow.”  Remind kids to only use a tissue once and then throw it away.  A good reminder for young children is never use your clothing as a tissue.  Believe me, this was one I stressed often! I know school supplies like tissues can be in short supply during flu season so it’s a good idea to add a travel pack to your child’s backpack.

4.  Remind children to wash their hands often. It’s never too early to tell kids to wash their hands before meals, after using the bathroom and after coughing, sneezing or blowing their nose.  It’s not a bad idea to provide them with a small bottle of hand sanitizer in case they can’t wash their hands.

5. Wipe down backpacks.  These mix with other backpacks, get dropped on the floor and passed around by the kids. Be sure to wipe them down with an antibacterial wipe to help keep them sanitized and, if possible, toss them in the washer once a week.

images

Even following all those tips, kids still get sick. Mine always get sick during holidays, weekends or after hours when our doctor is closed.  When that happens I rely on MinuteClinic, located in select  CVS stores in 28 states and DC, that are available after hours  and open seven days a week with no appointment necessary.  It’s been our one stop shop for flu, ear infections and strep because once we’ve finished our appointment I can have my prescriptions filled and pick up our over the counter medicines at CVS. We can even have our flu vaccinations here.  It’s much cheaper than going to the ER and with a much shorter weight time too!  If you need some help deciding if it is a cold or the flu, here’s an article that can help.

What do you do to help prevent colds and flu?

Pam is a former teacher turned work from home mom. When she's not caring for her kids or cats, she can be found whipping up tasty recipes, trying her hand at the newest techie gadgets or reading. She loves to travel whenever she has a chance and spends way too much time on the computer sharing her experiences.

{ 67 comments… read them below or add one }

Robin (Masshole Mommy) December 11, 2013 at 7:31 am

I never thought to wipe down their backpacks, but it makes sense now that you say it. I am definitley going to start doing that.

martha December 11, 2013 at 7:35 am

we send in “fun” soaps for the classrooms regularly and i send in hand soap jugs. my theory is if the soap dispenser is appealing maybe they’ll like it more

Tina Ashburn December 11, 2013 at 7:42 am

What great tips these are! And not only for children, but for grown ups as well. Don’t have a backpack? You probably have a purse!! Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands! Thanks!

Amy Desrosiers December 11, 2013 at 8:44 am

I love these tips! I often forget about wiping my daughter’s backpack and lunch box down!

brett December 11, 2013 at 8:49 am

i think keeping your kids HOME when they start to not feel well helps too!!

Amber Edwards December 11, 2013 at 11:44 am

These are great tips! I also include making sure the kids have a great balanced nutrition and are taking their multivitamins. Then they have better immune system to fight off the colds.

Marina December 11, 2013 at 12:08 pm

Wiping down backpacks is such a good idea!! Thank you!!

Marina December 11, 2013 at 12:09 pm

Oh we also send our kids with those mini anti-bacterial clip onto your backpack sanitizers

Heather Lawrence December 11, 2013 at 12:29 pm

Our kids use hand sanitizer at school and we are big enforcers with hand washing.
We try and makes sure they drink a ton of water, eat right and get the sleep they need to keep them healthy too.

Ellen Christian December 11, 2013 at 12:36 pm

Washing your hands regularly is such a huge help. I really try to remind the kids to do that regularly.

Janel December 11, 2013 at 1:06 pm

I always thought it was so funny trying to teach my kids to blow their noses when they were really little, trying to blow inward and all sorts of other sillies! Makes me smile just thinking about it, lol.

Michele December 11, 2013 at 1:44 pm

Schools are definitely filled with germs–but so are grocery stores, shopping malls and anywhere else a lot of people tend to go! It is not only the kids who don’t always use a kleenex—take hand sanitizer wherever you go and try not to hold onto the handrails of escalators!

Brittany C. December 11, 2013 at 1:52 pm

I have one home with me sick right now! This is the season where too much sickness is passed around!

Debbie Denny December 11, 2013 at 1:53 pm

Very Good advice! Thank you!

candice December 11, 2013 at 1:58 pm

ugh, preschool germs have already hit our house once. thanks for the tips! we love cvs minute clinics!

Elizabeth@ Food Ramblings December 11, 2013 at 2:00 pm

These are great tips for me at work too :)

Jennifer @TheRebelChick December 11, 2013 at 3:16 pm

Thank you for these tips! If you can believe it, my daughter is in the next room sneezing away as I was reading this! LOL!

Jennifer B December 11, 2013 at 3:54 pm

With germs running rampant this time of year, these are some great tips! Thanks for sharing these!

Deborah Anderson December 11, 2013 at 4:32 pm

I know it is about cold and flue, but your pic is so pretty. I’m thinking warm fuzzies ;)

Virginia @thatbaldchick December 11, 2013 at 5:06 pm

What great reminders! I am frequently surprised by how many people don’t wipe down the backpacks!

Carlee C December 11, 2013 at 5:23 pm

Those are excellent tips, getting a new tissue each time for use is so important. That picture totally makes me feel chilly. :)

Jodi @ A Mom Having Fun December 11, 2013 at 5:42 pm

These are all great tips. That picture above looks a lot like how our outdoors looks right now. brrrrrr That is a great idea to put a travel pack of tissue in their backpacks. I had never thought to wipe down their backpacks!

Kathleen December 11, 2013 at 6:58 pm

Great tips! I’ve never thought about wiping down the backpacks. I don’t think mine can go in the washer.

Barb W. December 11, 2013 at 7:00 pm

Good idea to wipe down the backpacks, they certainly come in contact with lots of germs! We focus a lot on keeping hands clean throughout the year and I try to make sure the kids have easy access to antibacterial wipes to use for quick clean-ups.

Debbie Lamb December 11, 2013 at 7:10 pm

Great tips…the flu has hit in Wisconsin. Many are sick especially with sore throats.

Milena December 11, 2013 at 7:11 pm

I make sure my kids drink lots of orange juice. I like the backpack tip- never thought of that one.

Aisha Kristine Chong December 11, 2013 at 7:14 pm

#2 is the biggest rule that my mom must have implanted in my brain, haha! never share – it could spread out anything that causes sickness of sort. these are good tips!

Malia December 11, 2013 at 7:17 pm

These are all great tips! Proper handwashing is so important…

Melanie S. December 11, 2013 at 7:17 pm

I don’t know why I haven’t paid more attention to their backpacks. I bet they’re just crawling with germs! From now on, I’ll be wiping them down.

Dawn Lopez December 11, 2013 at 7:19 pm

I love these tips, hopefully we can prevent sickness this year. I have been trying to teach my son how to blow his nose properly for 14 years.. it’s just not working, LOL. Help!

Melanie a/k/a CrazyMom December 11, 2013 at 7:40 pm

Great tips… how ironic as soon as I brought your post up I started to sneeze :-( … soo gonna run and wash my hands and grab some tissues and what a great reminder to wipe down backpacks I always forget about stuff like that..thanks for sharing

Tammilee Tillison December 11, 2013 at 8:02 pm

Thank you for the great tips! I need to restock tissues so we are ready for cold and flu season.

Nancy Lustri (StyleDecor) December 11, 2013 at 8:12 pm

I will definitely have to check out the minute clinic. What a great idea and comforting to know they are there when you need them.

trisha December 11, 2013 at 8:43 pm

Great tips! Its so hard to teach kids not to share when we always say share..HAHAHA

trisha

Matthew's Mom December 11, 2013 at 8:59 pm

I’ll have to start sending my son with a water bottle to preschool to help. If it is a bottle that he likes, he’ll drink more than if he uses the little cups at school.

Linette December 11, 2013 at 9:19 pm

These are great tips. My son always takes his own water bottle. I’ve also taught him to cough or sneeze into his elbow and not his hands. I also try to make sure he’s taking his vitamins and getting enough rest.

coolchillmom December 11, 2013 at 9:21 pm

thanks for the great reminder and good list of tips
yout photo looks amazing, but it does look cold!

Annemarie December 11, 2013 at 9:25 pm

There tips are so important, thanks for sharing. Nothing worse than getting a cold or flu.

Cynthia L. December 11, 2013 at 9:28 pm

Great tips. We are lucky and usually don’t catch a flue bug. If I did, I would head on over to CVS. I trust them!

Jennifer Williams December 11, 2013 at 9:34 pm

Why did you not do this post sooner, I am sitting here with the flu ready to go to bed, lol. Great tips!

Jennifer December 11, 2013 at 9:35 pm

Definitely good ones! Never thought about encouraging “no sharing” during the season, but that’s very smart!

Shannah @ Just Us Four December 11, 2013 at 9:38 pm

Great tips. Anytime my kids get the sniffles…I end up super sick.

Tough Cookie Mommy December 11, 2013 at 10:06 pm

These are some great tips because I believe that most of the germs that come into my house are brought by the kids from school. Also, since I am a teacher, I bring a lot of stuff home too without realizing it.

Lisa December 11, 2013 at 10:27 pm

Great tips! However, at my kids school, they are not allowed to carry water bottles without a doctors note.

Melanie December 11, 2013 at 10:34 pm

Well I did everything but wiping down the backpacks. I’ll remember to start doing that

Melissa December 11, 2013 at 10:36 pm

Ugh. We have two kids with colds right now. Great tips, we need them!

Chrishelle December 11, 2013 at 10:45 pm

These are some really great tips to stop the spread of viruses in school. I also think it is really important to keep your kids home if you think they may be contagious, fever or green/yellow sputum. Too much emphasis is put on perfect attendance.

Amanda December 11, 2013 at 10:49 pm

Great tips! Most don’t think about wiping down the backpacks!

Liz @ A Nut in a Nutshell December 11, 2013 at 11:00 pm

I’m a huge hand washer and I try to avoid touching my face at all because so many germs make their way in through eyes, mouth and nose!

Dawn December 12, 2013 at 12:16 am

Thanks for all of the tips for prevention. You can never keep your kids too safe.

Mama to 5 BLessings December 12, 2013 at 12:38 am

oh yes hand washing is a HUGE one for me. We have used this clinic before – works out great when our doctors office is closed.

Annie Mai December 12, 2013 at 1:10 am

Sneeze into your shoulder to prevent germs from flying in the air. Don’t sneeze into your hands since you’ll be touching things…

Janeane Davis December 12, 2013 at 1:52 am

These are some really good tips for keeping germs at bay.

Le-an Lai Angeles Lacaba December 12, 2013 at 3:42 am

In seasons like this, my mom stocks up on Vitamin C, making us take two doses everyday.

Mistee Dawn December 12, 2013 at 6:18 am

These are such great tips. I will definitely keep them in mind. Thanks so much for the info.

katherine December 12, 2013 at 9:19 am

Great tips. We always end up getting sick every year

Amanda Love ~ Growing Up Madison December 12, 2013 at 10:25 am

Hand washing is so very important. I make sure that my kids also carry around hand sanitizer in their back packs because sometimes water isn’t always available. Great tips!

heather December 12, 2013 at 2:29 pm

I never thought to wipe down backpacks. Thanks so much for sharing these tips all great ones.

Karen December 12, 2013 at 3:29 pm

These are some great tips, I can see how school can affect a lot of the germs surrounding them

Pam December 12, 2013 at 3:59 pm

These are all great tips but nothing is as important as good hand washing and keeping your child home if they are sick. Before touching food or face, hand need to be washed.

Megan Chamberlin December 12, 2013 at 6:27 pm

All good tips – and good reminders for adults too! I’m great at hand-washing post-bathroom, but I never think about doing it after working at my desk all day and other things where germs thrive!

Sandy Cain December 12, 2013 at 9:35 pm

Got to load them up with good vitamins and minerals in the winter, Vitamin C and zinc are 2 of the best for boosting the immune system. I also like the Wet Ones wipes – I think they do a little better job than the hand sanitizers, as you can wipe the germs off your hands with them, as well as applying the alcohol or other sanitizer.

Amy Orvin December 13, 2013 at 9:10 am

It’s tough not to get sick at school and then bring it home to the family at home. These are all really great tips. Very important!

Ashley Gill December 13, 2013 at 9:16 am

I’m working so hard to teach my children to sneeze in the nook on their arm and always wash… Its so hard with other children though. Snot everywhere this year it seems!

Ashley Miller December 13, 2013 at 7:33 pm

Thank you for sharing these great tips. I feel like a broken record to my 4 girls about sanitizing hands and their personal items, but at times I know it goes through one ear and out the other lol. I carry hand sanitizer with me and it drives my girls and hubby mad! =)

Liza @ Views From the 'Ville December 14, 2013 at 8:20 pm

Great tips, especially the backpack one! I think a lot of people forget just how much gross stuff those packs touch on a daily basis!

mandy December 15, 2013 at 3:54 pm

I have never thought to wipe down their backpacks, I am going to start doing this.