Mexican Corn Bread with Seasoned Cream Cheese #recipe (A year of Southern Cooking)

My mom’s daily staple was cornbread.  Every evening we had a small pan of cornbread.  When we had family reunions or dinners she “stepped it up a notch” and made Mexican Cornbread. It’s a recipe that has been in our family for years and has the advantage of being gluten free so my daughter, who has celiac, can enjoy it also.  She had been asking for a pan of this and asked if I could prepare it a little differently, adding a topping of Spicy Southwestern dip.  Having been challenged to find new ways to use dishes from the Sweet Creations product at Good Cook,  this recipe made everyone happy.  You can adjust the spiciness to your taste. I always use mild chili peppers, but feel free to change it to jalapenos or medium peppers if you like heat.

Meixcan cornbread

Mexican Cornbread

To make the cornbread you need:
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 eggs
2 cups buttermilk
1 cup chopped onion
1 can (14 ounce)  cream style corn
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1 (3 ounce can) green chilies

The Good Cook brownie pan can be used for Corn bread too!

Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease a 9″ by 13″ pan. Add all dry ingredients together in a large bowl. To this mixture add eggs and buttermilk. Stir until blended. Add corn, onion, cheese and chilies. Pour into greased 9″ by 13″ pan. Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes or until your desired level of brownness.  I used the Brownie pan from Good Cook, which distributes heat evenly and contains a nonstick coating which made my cornbread slide out of the pan easily.

When my cornbread had cooled I cut it into squares with a pizza cutter and placed the squares in my Sweet Creations Cupcake liners for a festive look. . You could also use a small round cookie cutter to make circles.  Once I had placed the cornbread squares into the liners I added spicy Southwestern topping.  To make this add 1 (3 ounce container) cream cheese, 1/2 cup sour cream and 2 teaspoons taco seasoning together until well blended.  Pipe the topping onto the cornbread squares or use a small ice cream scoop to add a dollop to each square.

Sweet Creations

There are lots of goodies in the Sweet Creations line.

Thanks to Good Cook  for sending me items from their #sweetcreations line that I used while creating my cornbread. I hope you enjoy this Southern Classic as much as our family does.

1. says

My Hubs loves cornbread. You know, I have never put onions nor chilies into mine. I am going to give it a try the next time I make it. You got a lot of nice things from Good Cook.

2. Dana Rodriguez says

I have loved cornbread all my life.It is kind of like a staple where I am from.This recipe looks great!!Thanks for sharing :)

3. says

Mexican Cornbread, say no more, sign me up, give me a plate and I will be a happy camper. I will be trying this yummy recipe to pair with some soup as the cold weather sneaks in this weekend. Thanks for the tip.

4. says

I love cornbread and I have had something very similar to this and it is delicious. My family loves cornbread too so I will give this a try next time I make soup or chili.

5. says

Cornbread with a kick! I like it!! Cornbread has always tasted a bit bland to me so I generally do not eat it–I have a feeling I would be making lots of panfulls of this recipe!

6. says

Tis the season for chili, and what goes great with chili? Cornbread! This recipe sounds a little like the corn cakes I like to make. I will definitely have to try your bread recipe too!

7. says

We love corn bread! Thanks for sharing!. My mother in lay made a corn bread that had cheese and peppers and some other stuff in it the other day. It was so tasty!

8. Eva says

In my family we always make jalapeno cornbread to add some spice to the mix and that cornbread is good with simple soups, such as chicken noodle because the meal overall then is not as bland as with regular cornbread.

9. says

Yum, what a great idea. You know I’ve never made cornbread…. that seasoned cream cheese just sounds like a fabulous edition to it! I will have to give this a go!

10. says

These look delicious and I love the fact that they are gluten free because I have been hearing a lot of good things about the benefits of cutting gluten out of your diet. It’s great that you can continue a family tradition.

11. says

Oh my gosh, I haven’t had Mexican Cornbread in such a long time. I love it. I will have to remember to make some the next time I make chile! Love the topping you made too!

12. Janet W. says

This is different from anything I’ve ever made before! It looks delicious! Thanks for something new for me to try!

13. heather says

I have never heard of this but it sounds just super delish and something that my whole family would love thanks for sharing this one and have a great day.

14. Amy Orvin says

We love corn bread and even cooking with it. I will give you a secret to better Thanksgiving dressing….CORN BREAD!! Make a pan and when it cools, add to your stuffing. Perfect every time!

15. Julie Wood says

I like all the ingredients to make this awesome Mexican Corn Bread. My sister and I love corn bread and this is such an awesome recipe that I will be making.