Who doesn’t love potatoes? They are so versatile and I never have a problem getting my kids to eat them. I found a recipe for Cheesy Bacon Potatoes, containing all our favorite ingredients, and adapted it to be lower in fat and calories. You’re welcome.
- 6 potatoes; peeled & sliced
- ½ cup onion
- 2 cups low fat cheddar cheese; shredded
- 1 cup turkey bacon; cooked and crumbled
- 2½ cups skim milk
- 4 tbsp flour
- nonstick cooking spray
- salt and pepper to taste
- Use a large pot. Saute chopped onions with nonstick cooking spray until soft but not browned. In a small bowl, combine flour, salt and pepper. Combine flour mixture with onions, then add milk. Stir and cook over medium heat till mixture begins to thicken (about 3 minutes). Turn off heat and add 1½ cups cheese to the sauce and stir till melted and smooth. Add bacon, stir.
- Arrange sliced potatoes in a baking dish and cover with sauce mixture. Cover the dish with foil and bake at 350 for 35 minutes. After 35 minutes, remove foil and add the last 1.2 cup of cheese. Bake 25 more minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Are you a potato fanatic? Do you want to learn some healthy cooking tips and new recipes?
Check out the Potatoes, Taters & Spuds Facebook page.